I have yet another yummy treat. This one would be awesome for a brunch or even just for a little treat at home. This recipe called for blue berries but I used strawberries because that is all I had in the freezer. This just shows how you can sub-statute other ingredients if you do not have everything in your house. Like today this recipe called for honey and I didn’t have enough honey for this recipe so I used my raw sugar. I will tell you what I used but I will also tell you what the recipe was so just incase you don’t have everything or running low you can do either way.
Berry coffee cake
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blue berries ( I used strawberries you could use any berry you like or mix it up)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 3 Tablespoons arrowroot powder (I didn’t have any on hand so I used white flour)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup honey ( I used 3/4 cup raw sugar honey is sweeter then sugar that’s why I added more)
- 3/4 cup melted butter ( I used coconut oil because my son has an allergy to milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk ( I used almond milk again milk allergy here)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
In medium sauce pan, cook berries and water together until it begins to boil. Turn down heat cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add sugar and arrowroot powder (here I used flour) slowly. It should become bubbly and thick. remove from heat. Set aside.
In mixing bowl , combine whole wheat flour, baking soda & baking powder( I also added the raw sugar here too do this unless you are using honey). Mix well. Make a well in center add honey, melted butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir well.
pour half the batter in a 9 x 13 baking dish (mine was being used so I used a deep dish stone ware baking dish).
Spread berry mixture over the batter
Drop remaining batter by spoonful's on top.
Bake 40-45 minutes @ 350
Now enjoy. Oh it is so yummy. Not to sweet it was just perfect. I brewed a pot of coffee with this and enjoyed it with my mother who stopped by this after noon. Now she is a very picky eater and she even said it was very good!