Sunday, January 26, 2014

Whole wheat Tortillas

Yummy, yummy, yummy......

I love tortillas!

Doesn't everyone?!?!

So maybe I'm just weird. Oh well it doesn't matter I am still going to love them!

We eat a lot of them and I have always just bought them. When you read the labels of them there are so much added to them even the "All Natural" ones. 

I always thought there was no way I could make them. I kept hearing all of these people saying how hard they were to make. 

But I decided one day when I opened the frig and I was going to make tacos and guess what was not in there? No tortillas. ... 

So I go to the World Wide Web and looked up recipes. So I found one and it was ok so next time around I used it as a guide and here it is for you to try. 

Whole wheat tortillas

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 water (give or take)

In a bowl stir together flour, sea salt and baking powder. Now cut in coconut oil (do not melt). 

Now you add your water at about a half cup at a time and stir. Then knead it until smooth. You may need to add more or less water. 

Next you will need to separate it into 14 - 16  balls. 

Then you will roll them out very thin. You will need to play around with this because sometimes I like them really thin for tacos but thicker for other things. 


I am not really good at that part. Mine do not always end up a nice little circle but it does get better with practice. 


Next you cook them on a griddle or castiron pan. I have used both and they both work well. You need to cook them on each side for about 30-45 seconds or until kinda bubbly. Be careful not to cook them for to long they will become hard and that's no fun. 


And there you have it. 

God Bless,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Blessed day.