Sunday, January 15, 2012

Home made syrup

So this is something that we go thru a lot of. Syrup can be very expensive when you buy the stuff with out high fructose corn syrup. I try not to let our family eat that stuff! Well and my kids will not eat real maple syrup so I make it. The brand I normally buy that doesn’t have the yucky stuff in it is over $4 per jug. so this is a money saver for me! I just buy a new jug every once in a while.

So first of all you need to get some Mapleine flavor I think it is around $4 per bottle and I buy maybe 2-3 a year. So that’s a HUGE savings for our family!It is over by the extracts in the grocery store.

100_1970

Here's what I do when I make my syrup. There are instructions on the box but I don’t do the same. Okay I don’t think I do I just do it by eye. So today when I made it I made sure to count and measure what I put into it.

  • In a sauce pan boil 1 cup of water
  • turn to low after boil
  • add sugar in 2/3 cup increments  to a total of about 2 cups ( I use Raw sugar). Between each 2/3 cup of sugar stir until sugar is completely dissolved. This is key other wise you will have a lot of crystalized sugar in the bottom of your jug.
  • stir in 1 tsp. of flavoring (you can add more if you want more of the maple flavor)
  • Let cool for about 20 minutes
  • then add to jug you want to use. Mine is 22 oz and it was filled up to the top. It will look very liquidy.
  • let cool completely with lid open then store in the refrigerator

100_1968

 

Now you just use it like normal syrup. You can heat it up if you desire just make sure you use a jug you can do that with. I had this really awesome syrup jar that I could place in a pan of water on the stove to warm it up. I wouldn’t recommend placing in the microwave in less you put the syrup in a different container with the amount you want to warm.

I hope you find this useful to use in your home to save a few pennies.

    God Bless,

    Jen

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy, we love syrup over here too so I'm going to try this!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Blessed day.