I just wanted to show a few pictures of what we do for social studies. We are using Road Trip USA. This day were finishing up Massachusetts. Here are the things we learned about Massachusetts.
- The capital Boston
- Where the state is on the large wall map
- Massachusetts was adopted into the Union on February 6, 1788
- It was the 6th state
- state bird Black-Capped Chickadee
- state flower The Mayflower
- state horse is the Morgan Mare
- Basketball was designated as the official state sport on August 8th, 2006. It was in-vented by Dr. James Naismith, a teacher from Springfield, MA.
- Paul Revere
- Johnny Appleseed
- John Adams, John Quincy Adams & John F Kennedy were all born in Massachusetts then talked a little bit about each one.
- Benjamin Franklin was born January 17, 1706 in Boston, MA
- Chocolate Chip cookie was also named the official cookie of the state in 1997
This is a shot of what there state sheets look like. This is something that they can turn to to remember things about the states at a glance. They also color them.
Here is Tootsie roll getting out his state sticker for put in his travel log. Each state go through they add a ne sticker. We have already done Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, and Maryland. Next we go to New Hampshire.
Here is Butterfinger with his travel log.
This curriculum has been a lot of fun so far. We haven't been able to do any of the crafts yet. But we will be having a craft day to get the 2 we missed. But from now on I am going to try to get to them. Some days by the time we get all of what we need to get in for the day it is just to late in the afternoon and the kids would rather go play then do a craft. We are getting better at our time so this should be getting a little better.