We made a trip to Delaware and here is what we did. Sorry I don’t have any pictures of what we did. But, here is what we learned.
- Locate State and Capital (Dover) on US Map
- It first to become a state on December 7, 1787
- State Fish: The Weakfish
- State Flower: The Peach
- State Marine Animal: The Horseshoe Crab
- State Wildlife Animal: The Grey Fox
- We learned about the Dover Air Force Base
- Delaware Memorial Bridge: This is the longest twin span suspension bridge in the world. It opened in 1951 and stretches 13,200 feet to connect Delaware and New Jersey.
- Activity: Make popsicle stick suspension bridge!
- We made Crab cakes
1 7.5 oz can crab meat, drained, flaked, cartilage removed
1 beaten egg
1/2 c finely crushed saltine crackers
1/3 c milk
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/8 t. white pepper
1.8 t. cayenne
1 t snipped parsley
3 t shortening
Optional: Lemon wedges
In medium bowl combine egg, crushed crackers, milk, mustard, white pepper and Cayenne.
Stir in crab meat and parsley.
Using 1/3 c mixture for each cake, shape into patties.
Cover and chill at least 30 minutes prior to frying
Heat shortening in skillet and add patties. Cook over medium heat about 6-8 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
Drain and serve with lemon wedges
If you would like to order or learn more about this Curriculum click on the picture below.