Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Johnny Cakes

A Great friend of mine lent me a cookbook that I just love. I am trying find recipes that I can make with very few ingredients (ones I have on hand) and does not cost too much. The book is  called “Stories and recipes of the Great Depression of 1930’s”. I am so loving this book. The stories in it are so inspiring. I will share my favorites as I cook them. This one I made it first about a week ago and then again today and guess what they all still loved it!

Johnny Cakes

Mix together:

  • 1 cup flour (whole wheat)
  • 1 t salt
  • 3/4 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 3 T sugar
  • Then add 1 c. cornmeal

Combine:

  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 2 eggs (well blended)

Add to:

  • 1 1/2 c milk

Combine with flour mixture and beat only until smooth. Fill well greased pan. Bake at 425F for 20- 25 min. Serve with any topping. We used syrup and butter because that was all that we had on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Blessed day.