Sunday, November 23, 2014

DIY- Natural Hand Sanitizer

It's that yucky time of they year, where it seems that everyone around us has some kind of cold. And I don't know about you but if we get sick here it's just no fun when it runs its course through 7 people. We usually have 1 or 2 that seem to miss it.  

I am one of those moms that cleans the grocery cart before I put my hands or my little guy in it. I don not alt all like to use those harsh sprays or chemical filled wipes. I do use them if I forget my sanitizer spray. I just make sure it drys completely before I put my little one in the cart.

So what today's post is for is to help with keeping our families from getting sick or spreading their sickness. For those times when you don't have a sink around. 

This recipe is for hand sanitizer. It's safe to use and not worry about all those harsh ingredients in the commercial brands. You can also use it on small scraps and boo boos you get when away from home. 

Natural Hand Sanitizer 

Here is what you will need. 


Aloe Vera gel
Witch Hazel
Essential oils (I used germ fighter from Plant Therapy) lavender and tea tree oils work great for this. 
And a glass spray bottle. I used 4 oz bottle I ordered from Plant Therapy. 

I don't really measure when I make this. So what I do is first add the aloe Vera gel. I fill the bottle 1/3 full with it. 
Next I add 15 drops of essential oils. If you are using lavender and tea trea I would use 10 drops of lavender and 5 of tea tree. 
Now fill it the rest of the way up with witch hazel. Add the lid and shake well. 

I shake it each time I use it. 

Now if you are using Young Living oils you would use Thieves  oil. The Germ Figher is the Thieves of Plant Therapy. 

Fun Fact: the story behind Theives oil or Grem fighter is it was used by robbers and thieves (why the name is thieves) during medieval times to protect them from the plague and othe diseases of their victims. 

Interesting huh? 

If you are wondering what oils are in the Germ fighter and have them on hand you can just add them. They are lemon,clove,eucalyptus,cinnamon, and rosemary essential oils. Make sure to use pure essential oils. Not the fragrance oils. 

I love using essential oils for many things. I am always hoping that more and more families will start using natural products instead of the yucky stuff filled with chemicals that research is still unsure of long term effects when used for long periods of times. Yes, essential oils are I guess chemicals but we know where they come from. The plant parts. They are very strong and very concentrated so you will need to do a little research of your own before you use them. I will never recommend putting them directly on your skin unless diluted with something like a carrier oil. There is one I do use without a carrier oil and that is lavender. I have done some research and found it is safe for an adult to do so but before you do this do a test spot. Well that was a little info on some essential oils. If you want to know more research it buy some books and don't get sucked into the hype of you have to buy a $50 bottle of essential oil to know it is pure. There are a few companies out there that sell high quality oils for affordable prices. I am not affiliated with any of them but here are a few I use. Plant Therapy, Barefut, and Young Living. 

I hope you enjoyed this DIY post. 

God Bless,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Blessed day.