Saturday, September 24, 2011

Reading for fun

257

I am a very picky person when it comes to what my kids read. I purchased a curriculum called the Robinson Curriculum I absolutely love this curriculum but we do not use it the way he wrote it we use it for its books. He has this amazing book list that is awesome. All the books on it are from mid to early 1900’s and sooner. He takes you back to the 3 R’s. It is a great program and I don’t quite know why I do not use it the way it is intended but I don’t. We do use it for the list of books. Here is a link I found that has all the books on it. These books are all public domain so you can read them at Project Gutenburg. I would recommend to any homeschool family that this curriculum should be in every home for the reading at the least.

Now back to reading for fun. I truly believe that kids should be able to read for fun what they want to read to make reading more fun. Okay I have struggled with letting them pick their own books but this year I feel I am getting better a lot better. I actually have let the boys pick some Star Wars books ( Butterfinger has read I think 5 of them so far this year!!). Tootsie Roll is enjoying his Star Wars book here in this picture. He has been doing just fine reading but I have noticed this year him grabbing a book and reading it on his own. Which he did not do last year.

I really want them all to love to read as much as I do. I love to curl up with a good book and read. I have been known to forget to cook a meal because I have my nose stuck in a book. I pray that one day they will all feel how I do about reading. Its never to late to enjoy reading for fun and not just for “school time” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Blessed day.